June 27, 2011
Oxygen Accelerator, a UK-based acceleration and investment program similar to Y-Combinator and TechStars in the US, is offering Launch48 attendees the opportunity to go straight to the interview stage of the application process.
Are you looking for:
If you’re looking for funding and want to work with other startups you may want to apply via the Oxygen Acceleration web site. Full details are available on their web page.
Launch48 attendees: once you’ve applied, please contact Oxygen Accelerator via their contact us page and tell them you’re a Launch48 attendee to ensure they prioritise your application.
June 23, 2011
Thanks for newspepper for their fantastic coverage of the Inspire Conference. The below video includes interviews with attendees and speakers.
The Inspire Conference Final version from Newspepper on Vimeo.
June 19, 2011
Launch48 has created a new page to support our teams find programs that may incubate and accelerate them. If you are looking for investment or want to review your options for early stage funding, please have a look at our startup program page.
If you want to see what Launch48 Moldova has created please visit the live stream on http://moldova.launch48.com from 3:30 pm London/5:30 pm CEST (GMT+2) to see the 5 teams present.
June 14, 2011
Mendeley, the system that makes research easier and more fun, has announced a joint competition with PLoS, a library of scientific research, to award a series of prizes to developers who build interesting apps on top of their APIs.
The interesting thing about this competition is that the app being built could improve the lives of scientists and researchers, potentially improving the quality of research or the findings. Who knows, maybe your entry will help to change the world?
First prize is £10,000.00 and AWS credits, second prize is £5,000.00 and AWS credits, and third prize is £1,000.00 and a Parrot AR Drone (remote controlled flying toy controlled via iPhone). So the prizes are definitely worth going for.
This is very timely considering the upcoming Launch48 Moldova and Launch48 Kingston events where new startups could integrate and use these APIs. If you’re interested you can get an API key and enter at http://dev.mendeley.com/api-binary-battle/
June 10, 2011
If you live in Eastern Europe and you want to work on a new business idea, don’t miss Launch48 Moldova.
This event is going to be more like a weekend entrepreneurial retreat as the event is being held in Moldtelecom Training and Recreation Center 1 hour outside Chisinau. A bus will collect attendees from Chisinau on Friday afternoon and take everyone to the venue for the 2 days. The event includes transport, meals, and accommodation for the entire weekend.
I can’t wait for the event, the venue looks great and all the startups will literally live together for a few days which should bring teams closer and increase the amount of time that can be spent building the businesses and products.
Dan and I are flying in from London on Thursday, Octav, a mentor from Launch48 Romania, will also be travelling from Romania to join us. Get your ticket now.
If you’re a a startup looking for guidance and cash, you may want to look at Birmingham’s Oxygen Accelerator. It is being run by long time friend and Launch48 support Simon Jenner who has been running E4F for the last couple of years.
They are offering an initial loan for £20,000.00, mentoring, and office space for their 13 week program. Applications close the 30th of June, apply now if you’re interested.
Of course, Launch48 will be mentoring.
TechPitch 4.5 is back for a second event. If you have a startup and want to pitch it may be a good event to apply for or you can simply buy a ticket if you want to see a good list of startups pitching.
Chaired by: Danvers Baillieu, Pinsent Masons / Bootlaw
Fraser Davidson, Preparation Capital
Alex Harvey, Silicon Valley Bank
Bindi Karia, Microsoft BizSpark
Rodolfo Rosini, Namaste / Angel Investor
Sitar Teli, Doughty Hanson
If you want to apply all you need to do is review the bottom section of http://www.4pt5.co.uk. Applications close on the 17th of June 2011.
June 1, 2011
Thanks to everyone who applied to our Inspire Conference startup exhibition competition. There were so many good startups that entered, unfortunately we could only fit 5 in each day. The 10 winners are:
- Gavurin – A light weight, cloud based data visualization tool called G-View, designed to allow anybody, regardless of technical expertise, to manipulate, explore and get insight from data via attractive, intuitive visualizations.
- MarketInvoice - Marketinvoice is an online marketplace for invoices, where small companies can sell invoices due from large corporates due in 30, 60 or 90 days to a network of investors.
- colourDNA – colourDNA helps you discover new things to enjoy in life through Social Discovery. Whether you’re looking for a new restaurant, movie, book or band, you no longer have to rely only on the suggestions of your small network of friends or risk the faceless written review sites. By sharing what you love, you get matched with new things to try out based on the interests of people with similar tastes
- SourceRail – SourceRail is an advanced media monitoring tool with the capability to monitor the web for specific mentions of companies, competitors, clients, products, services or topics.
- Eventasaurus – Eventasaurus is a dashboard for online event services. Dubbed “Tweetdeck for events”.
- Lutebox – Lutebox is a social entertainment hub, where users can instantly stream premium entertainment content while socializing with friends through video-chats and simulcasts.
- OWJO – Owjo is a social commerce service. Uniquely it handles transactions within the widget so users are not pushed off facebook (or any other platform that owjo works on) to a payments system.
- HipSnip – HipSnip is a personal shopping application to get product advice, and solves the consumer problem of deciding what products to buy (e.g. which TV is best for them) by plugging into social networks such as Facebook and Twitter and profiling the products people know about. HipSnip enables consumers to get product advice and reviews through their social groups or through the expert HipSnip community.
- Blippar – Blippar is the soon-to-launch universal mobile platform that will enable any smart-phone-owning consumer to interact with and pull content from any physical ad creative whether outdoor, on pack, on page or in-store.
- Tastebuds – Tastebuds is a dating site for music fans. The site has 20,000 users, half of whom have been active on the site in the last month, with over 10,000 messages being sent between them every week.
Congratulations to all our winners who will be exhibiting on either the 7th or 8th of June 2011 at The Inspire Conference.
If you want to attend the Inspire Conference there are still a few tickets available via the web site http://theinspireconference.com